Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Attempt at Tying Flies

So...I love fly fishing, I love building things (especially things I can fish with), I love art, and I love catching Guadalupe Bass.  I guess it was only natural for me to attempt to tie my own flies for Guadalupe Bass.

I had no idea what I was doing, I have never really tied my own flies before, and I am sure that I don't have all the materials that I need, but here is what I came up with:

This was my attempt at a Grasshopper type Dry Fly:


















Next was my attempt at a minnow:


















Then was another minnow with hackle:


















Then I decided to work on a Crawdad pattern.  Think about the way this will look in the water, and it will look better to you (I hope):


















And finally I decided to make a small Sunfish patterned fly:


















Well, that's what I came up with yesterday.  I would LOVE to hear you thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.  Anything to help me improve would be appreciated.

Related posts:
The Plight of the Guadalupe Bass
Fishing Artwork
Beautiful, Small Independence
Home Waters

2 comments:

  1. They look good, I bet they get eaten. A word of advice, use as little thread as you can. Be deliberate with every wrap, it only takes 3 good wraps to secure material. The bodies look fine but as you get to the heads they crowd the eyes a bit, which can cause you problems when trying to thread heavyish leader material. I use so little white thread around the eyes that when I add head cement the color of the material is shown through the white.

    Keep up the good work and welcome to the addiction.

    ReplyDelete