Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Interview with Drew Gregory - Part 2


 
This is the second half of my interview with Drew Gregory.  To read the first half click here: Interview with Drew Gregory - Part 1.  For those of you that have never had the pleasure of meeting Drew, you really should try to make it out to one of the many events he will make an appearance at in 2012.  

Anyway, here is part 2:

PK:         You work with Jackson Kayak.  I love their kayaks.  Would you mind talking a little bit about how you got “hooked-up” with Jackson?  Has the company always been involved in the building of kayaks geared for fishing? 

DG:        Wow, how much time do you have?  Haha, well basically I had been building a reputation as a skilled kayak angler for many years. On numerous forums I visited I would often see the brand of boat change over to whatever I was fishing out of at the time because people saw that I was just an honest, friendly average joe that happened to also have some talents for catching fish out of kayak.  At this time kayak fishing was pretty small really, but I could tell it was growing.  

At one point I was contacted by Ken Whiting, producer of The Kayak Fishing Show with Jim Sammons, about being a guest host for an episode.  Well, later on it was because of Ken that I eventually got connected with Jackson Kayak.  I called Ken to get some advice on sponsorship and let him know I really thought I could come up with ideas that were waaaay better for kayak fishing than what was out there.  He thought about all the brands he knew and the hurdles that would come in attempting to connect with larger companies, given the stage I was at in my kayak fishing career.  He mentioned that I needed to find a smaller company that can grow with me as I grow in the industry, some company that was also small and flexible enough to make this happen.  He hadn’t thought of anyone but just before he was about to hang up the phone he said, “Hey, wait a second; I do know this guy Eric Jackson that I used to compete against in whitewater. He started a company that is mostly whitewater kayaks, but I did notice they had a couple rec kayaks last year.  Maybe they are going to get into kayak fishing?  I’ll make a quick call and see what they say.”  He made that one call and it just so happened to be that Eric Jackson and other executives were sitting in a meeting trying to figure out “Where is Jackson Kayak headed in the next 3 years?  More rec boats, fishing, touring?”  Of course without a “champion” on staff that really knew fishing kayaks, Joe Pulliam (founder of Dagger Kayaks who was on as a consultant at that time) was not going to recommend Jackson moved into fishing, even though Eric Jackson is a fisherman himself and really wanted to move towards this new growing market segment.  If only they had an Eric Jackson on the fishing side…ring ring, Ken Whiting calls and tells them about me.  Surely their faces dropped a little just as mine did when I heard back from them that they are interested in talking with me about this possibility.  About 2 months later I had met with about 4 or 5 prominent Jackson Kayak staff members, including President Eric Jackson, Joe Pulliam, VP of Sales Marty Cronin and CFO Dave Olson.  We hit it off as individuals as well as on strategy and business philosophy.  

It truly has been a perfect fit for both parties and I love working for Jackson Kayak!  Due to our still small size it’s not always easy and we have to wear a lot of hats but none of us would rather be doing anything else than making great products by Americans, for all to enjoy.

PK:         If you could only pick one kayak to fish from the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

DG:        I know this may sound crazy to some, but it would actually be our new Big Tuna kayak.  It is just such a great boat that can do it all.  The Coosa is very small body of water and river specific and the Cuda is very large body of water specific.  The Big Tuna can do both, and has a live bait well in it for the numerous species that require live bait to catch.  Not to mention, “for the rest of my life” means “the rest of my life” and I want to get married, have kids and the Big Tuna will be able to handle a second or even third passenger!  

PK:         I am excited about the Big Tuna coming out!  My wife and I had our first kiddo this last year, and the Big Tuna looks to be perfect for taking him out fishing.  I can’t wait.
                What has been the greatest fishing memory you have?

DG:        Probably when I was about 6 or 7 I was fishing with my dad and granddad in Cow Bayou near Beaumont, TX.  We were bass fishing and I tossed a lure out by a stump and got hung up!  Frustrated as a young boy I handed the rod to my dad asking him to help get me un-hung because my lure was stuck.  Well, much to his surprise when I handed him the reel it started peeling drag and it actually sliced into his hand since he never expected a “log” to peel drag!  Turns out, I had a big fish on and thought I was stuck!  He handed the rod back to me and I fought in a large sheepshead!  It must have been at least 5-7lbs.  We still have a photo of it today and it will always be one of my favorite memories but there are so many good ones just like that one. 

PK:         What has been the wildest kayak fishing endeavor you have accomplished?

DG:        Devils River trip!

***For those of you who have not seen the video, or if you want to see it again, here is the link: "The Devi's Beauty"  
You need to see it, and by the way, the Devil's River is pretty much in my backyard, so if you want schedule a guided trip, let me know***

PK:         Any future goals for yourself, any fish you want to catch, places you want to go, etc.?

DG:        Would love to branch off and do more saltwater kayak fishing.  I am more of an inshore guy than an offshore guy and would love to explore more of the Keys and land some nice permit, bonefish and tarpon!  

PK:         What paddle and PFD do you use?

DG:        I use Bending Branches or Aqua Bound Paddles and Kokatat Watersports Wear PFDs.

PK:         Now time for some quick answer questions.  

What is your favorite Lure?

DG:        Swimbait!

PK:         Who has been your favorite fishing partner?
DG:        My Dad!

PK:         Who is the best angler you have ever had a chance to fish with?

DG:        Jason McRae, he goes by Shoal Bandit online but doesn’t get online much.  Brilliant fishing mind and angler.  

PK:         Thanks for your time Drew, I appreciate the interview.  

 

***If you would like to learn a little bit more about Drew, you can check out his website, DrewGregory.com. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment