Friday, May 11, 2012

Waders - Caught up from the Devils River Posts

Well...here I sit.  Back from the Devils River.  Caught up on the posts that I couldn't post while out on the river and faced with the challenge of waders as the topic for today.  This might be harder to write that anything else this month, and is surely more difficult than my time spent on the river itself.

So...hmmm...I have never worn waders in my life.  Here in Texas, if the water is cool it is a relief from the heat bearing down on you from above.  I can see the need sometime, but I can never justify the cost.  Spending the kind of money needed for good waders if much better spent on more fishing tackle in my eyes (haha, really.)  But I don't live anywhere need super cold water, not do I have to wade fish when it is freezing cold outside.  I do fish in cold temps, but I am usually in my kayak and some thermal long johns and a pair of waterproof pants usually does the trick. 

I am sure I will need some waders some day.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get?

1 comment:

  1. Well, that didn't take long. You can't go wrong with Simms waders. Their G3s are the gold standard for waders right now, though they are spendy. Out here in the West, I use my waders at least once a week and often more -- they're as much a part of my kit as my rod or vest.

    ReplyDelete