Monday, July 30, 2012

Lake Amistad Report - 07/27/2012

I decided to take the Jackson Kayaks to Lake Amistad on Friday evening.  I went to try out different area (Air Force marina) that I had not been to in a while.  Access to the water was decent, there was a short walk with the kayaks over some steep rocks, but it was not too bad.  I quickly launched and headed out toward the lake.  I don't have any pictures because my camera broke and my cell phone was dead.  I was in such a rush to start fishing that I wasn't prepared.  Lessons learned.

It had rained pretty hard earlier that day, so the water was a little bit murkier than normal.  The area I fished looked very "fishy."  It had shallow water with some grass, a few trees, quick dropoffs to 20+ feet of water, and several good points covered in submerged trees.

I fished for about three hours, spending about 45 minutes on one fish that I saw jumping around, but I couldn't get it to hit anything.  So, I finally moved on.  I found the fish after about an hour and a half.  They seemed to be stacked up on a steep limestone ledge that dropped from one foot to about twenty five feet over a distance of about eight feet.

They would softly hit a senko or a jig dragged down the dropoff.  Unfortunately I was only able to hook into fish, about 17 or 18 inches.  I landed it on a black and blue jig with half of a smoke/purple flake senko as a trailer, and shad flavored scent wand from BioEdge swiped on it.  I missed two other fish who managed to pull the senko off my hook completely, and one fish who pulled the jig skirt and trailer off the "neck" of the jig.  I guess the fish were hungry short strikers.  That happens sometimes.

But then it got dark, and I didn't bring any lights or anything with me so it was time to head back home.  I will head back to that spot soon a little more prepared and catch some fish for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment