Monday, July 30, 2012

Nueces River 07/29/2012

I took someone out to the Nueces River river fishing from my Jackson Coosa's on Sunday.  Unfortunately, my camera is still broken, and my phone was still dead, so we don't have any pictures.  But, we had a great time.

I am in my element when I am on the river.  I took along a fly rod, the guy I took out brought some conventional tackle.  I was only casting to test out a couple of the new flies I tied.  I started with fishing a Madam X I tied on a size 14 hook:

It was a sunfish killer, just as I thought it would be.  I also managed a small largemouth on it, in the short time I was fishing it.








I then switched to the sunfish patter fly I tied:

It was a little bit larger, so I thought it might catch a few bass.  I had some decent bass following it, but could only get one to hit.  Somehow it missed.  Just like Friday at Lake Amistad, I have managed to miss several fish lately.  I don't know whats wrong with me.






Anyway, like I said, several fish followed, but nothing hit it so I switched up to a minnow pattern that was about the same size:

I had a few more fish hit it, but I only managed to land one small bass and one bluegill on it.








My partner for the day did catch a Guadalupe Bass, which were introduced to the Nueces River system in 1973, which he had never caught before.  That was pretty exciting for him.  He asked, "is this the same fish that you have on your leg?"  Haha, yes it is, and it was almost the exact same size!

Anyway, it is always great to take someone new out to the river, and show them what I love.  Next time I will be more prepared and get some pictures for y'all.  I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment