Monday, October 8, 2012

Interview With Andy Cameron (Part 2)


Andy Cameron is the editor of The Milkcrate, an online magazine dedicate to personalities, styles, and cultures surrounding kayak fishing.  He has interviewed some of the greatest anglers, craftsmen, artists, and professionals, that the kayak fishing world has seen.  After reading this article, you should take the time to head on over to The Milkcrate and browse through a bunch of their interviews.

This is Part 2 of the Interview with Andy Cameron.  You should start from the beginning   Here is the link for that: Interview With Andy Cameron



Pat Kellner:  Portland seems a little bit like an American Beer Mecca.  What beer would you choose to drink while you're eating some fish, why?

Andy Cameron:  I'm a seasonal beer drinker.  I like big, stinky, hop bomb-esque IPAs in the summer, porters in the fall, and stouts and holiday ales over the winter.  I cater the fish recipe to match the season/beer, with spicy summertime tacos giving way to shoyu and garlic-infused essences during the cooler months.  We do indeed have within our fair state an incredible selection of beer.  It's very easy to get spoiled.  My favorite breweries include Seven Brides, Boneyard, Cascade Lakes, Ninkasi, and a relative newcomer entitled, Pints.

PK:  Do you ever take a tasty beverage you ever take a tasty beverage out on the water with you?

AC:  Rarely, really.  Mostly whilst camping.  I save beverage-time for the evenings.  I have, however, recently taken a liking to a mid-paddle cider.  Crispin makes a nice English-style brew, and it comes in a most regal 16oz can.  Tecate is oft-frowned upon, but makes for a fine summer quencher.  There does exist in my brain a view that paddle-powered angling is a form of exercise, and it just feels odd to drink during a workout.

PK:  How has the sport of kayak fishing grown, as a whole, since you jumped into it?

AC:  I am but a neophyte myself, but have seen within a few short years a tremendous increase in the number of kayak-based angler.  Exponential, really.  Our local forum has experienced a flood of growth, and the nearby lakes and rivers are playing host to more and more kayaks.  On the industrial side of things, boats and gear have gotten more niche-specific.  Manufactures are listening to their client-base, and are developing objects aimed at meeting every possible need.  I also think that bonds between anglers are getting even tighter.  Social media and online tools of creativity are really on the rise.  Anglers are communicating on a global scale, and means are of self-expression are getting profound.  There are countless pairs of fishing buddies that have never fished together.  In short, the community is getting larger and stronger.  I have to mention, however, that I do tend to notice occasional allusions to a notion that we have, perhaps, lost a bit of our roots along the way.  When I think of Tim Niemier and company prowling the California kelp beds on our ancestral craft, I begin to realize the simplicity with which this sport began.  Maybe I'm a retro grouch, but I fear some modern trends may corrupt the sport.  With increasing pricing of certain craft, and with escalating complexity of involved gear, it isn't hard to view some modern iterations as miniature bass boats or jet sleds.  I'd like to see the prevailing wind bring about a continuation of the original values and ethos.

PK:  What is the greatest fishing related memory you have?

AC:  The concept of recency plays a big role in my valuing of memories, so I'm going to go with a trip that my Dad and I took a few weeks ago.  We loaded up my SUP and his 14 foot river raft, and headed to the northwestern section of Montana.  We camped at a junction of two rivers, and just day tripped our way through several floats.  Leisurely mornings of pancakes and camp coffee lingered on until the sun offered just enough warmth.  We paddled and floated and caught cutthroat until mid afternoon.  That was followed by drinks and dinner and laughs and riverside slumber.  This cycle went on for days, and was a perfect combination of restfulness and adventure.

PK:  Do you have a favorite TV show, fishing related or not, and what is your favorite music or radio program?

AC:  I don't watch a lot of television, but I really enjoy No Reservations.  If I watch too much, The Milkcrate starts to take on a bit of Tony's flair.  I love his choice of syntax, and his cadence and style are glorious.  Astute readers of The Crate can likely tell when I go on a No Reservations bender.  With regard to radio, I am pretty loyal to NPR, and pay special attention to Car Talk, Wait Wait, and The Splendid Table.  Music, like beer, is a seasonal affair.  Spring calls for fun jazz like Walt Dickerson or Lou Donaldson, summer demands a constant rotation of Peter Tosh and local old time groups like Foghorn Stringband, and winter calls for more reflective music like that offered by Horse Feathers.  I go through a variety of musical phases, though, and am always chasing down a certain sound or vibe.

PK:  Outside of fishing, what other hobbies do you have?

AC:  I am pretty into bicycling, and love riding across a wide variety of styles.  Steel is real, and I find few greater pleasures than those associated with riding a heavy steel touring bike up a mountain pass.  Singlespeed mountain biking and vintage cruiser riding are also bicycle-related passions.  Music takes up a big piece of my life, as well. Along with my childhood friend, Andy, I write and record music for films, commercials, and video projects.  We record under the name Finbox, and have had the pleasure of working on some really great and conscious projects.  I'm an unskilled and flailing boulderer, but I do enjoy the pebble wrestling.  I also brew beer, make wine, and take pictures.

PK:  Any future goals for yourself, any places you want to go or anything like that, fishing related or not?

AC:  With regard to fishing, I'd like to revisit the high mountain lakes of my childhood.  Exchanging the rubber raft for a lightweight inflatable SUP, I'd hike in and set up camp for a few days.  Catch most every meal and see the areas from a new perspective.  Take lots of photos, spend some time in the hammock, and sip on one of them fancy Scotch whiskeys that comes in a tube.

PK: Ok, now for some quick answers.
I am a rod guy, my whole trip revolves around what rods I am going to bring.  If you could choose one, what is your favorite Rod?

AC:  The go-to is a 4 and a half foot Ugly Stick ultralight.  With this rod, even the smallest fish are an absolute blast. I just picked up a vintage True Temper, Made in the USA, seven foot rod, though.  At a thrift store.  For three bucks.  I have high hopes for it.

PK:  What is your favorite Lure?

AC:  Rebel Craw.  The small size.  In brown and orange.

PK:  Favorite fishing platform?

AC:  Prone paddleboard.

PK:  Who has been your favorite fishing partner?

AC:  My girlfriend, Becky, has proven herself to be a really awesome fishing partner.  Nobody has more paddle stoke.  Dad, too.
PK:  Who is the best angler you have ever had the chance to fish with?

AC:  Without a doubt...dad.
PK:  Who is one person you would love to take Kayak Fishing, dead or alive?

AC:  My grandfather and namesake isn't with us anymore, but I'm curious as to what exactly he'd think of these plastic contraptions from which we fish.  He was a spunky and sassy old timer, and would likely get a kick out of besting the nearby powerboaters.  I can literally hear his diatribes regarding "gasoline spewing dumbshits spending too much money to catch fish."  I kind of wanna see that.
PK:  Do you ever fly fish?
AC:  I do, but I am a piss poor excuse for a fly fisherman.  I really need lessons. I want to give the Tenkara thing a try.  It speaks to my innate minimalism.  I also like how it eschews some of the elitist gear-snobbery found in some fly fishing circles.  I foresee an order involving a P.H. Kellner Tenkara pole.

PK:  Thanks, Andy.  I enjoyed the interview.


Other Interviews you might enjoy:
Interview with Tray Collins
Interview with Drew Gregory
Interview with Jim Dolan

1 comment: