Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Interview With Tray Collins - Part 2

Tray Collins, is the owner, a guide, and an Instructor at Kayak Fishing Louisiana.  He is also a member of Jackson Kayak’s Fishing Team, as well as a Pro Staff member of nationally known brands such as Rat-L-Trap and Columbia Sportswear.  He is also the director of online tournaments with the Lafayette Kayak Fishing Club.  He truly is a busy man in the Kayak Fishing community.

I was lucky enough to track him down for an interview.  Here is Part 2 of our conversation (Here is Part 1):

PK:         I know you have given a few kayak fishing seminars.  What is it about these that you enjoy?  Is there a schedule of events you might be speaking at?

TC:          I like bridging the gap between anglers and great products most.  Anglers have so many choices when they visit a paddlesports store, tackle shop, or shop on the internet.  Over the years I’ve wasted my fair share of time and money trying something that’s supposed to work, fit, or last.  So when I come across great products I can’t wait to share them with fellow anglers to help them be more successful and comfortable while also saving money in the long run.

I have one last speaking engagement for spring. The event will take place on May 15th at Pack & Paddle in Lafayette, LA. 

PK:         I think I may know the answer to this, but if you could only pick one place to fish the rest of your life, where would it be and why?

TC:          I stumbled upon paradise in 2001, and I have no plans of leaving.  Louisiana has an exceptionally diverse array of both fresh and saltwater fish species. The inshore estuary consisting of salt, brackish, and freshwater marshes produce tall grasses that line the waterways that I paddle in.  I experience wildlife in its most venerable state being that a lot of these areas haven’t been visited by anyone in a very long time.  When I need a change of pace the gulf has many huge fish that will pull me and my kayak around.  I leave any stress from life at the launch and it has disappeared by the time I get back, I’m truly blessed!

PK:         That’s what I thought you would say.

What do you consider to be some of your greatest achievements in fishing?

TC:          I’ve caught a bunch of different fish and have placed high in tournaments, but to me great achievements come in the form of helping other anglers, the community, and preserving the environment.
Other than helping anglers while guiding, at different seminars, and events I’ve been a part of the local kayak launch constructions.  I’m also very active within the local kayak fishing community. 

I participate in CCA’s tag and release program here in Louisiana; have been promoting CPR (Catch-Photo-Release) through the Lafayette Kayak Fishing Club’s CPR Online Tournament as one of the founders of the tournament, and the tournament’s director.    

PK:         How has the sport of kayak fishing grown as a whole since you started kayak fishing?

TC:          It’s grown so much! Boat tournaments are adding kayak divisions, dedicated kayak launches are being built, prominent manufactures within the fishing industry are beginning to focus on kayak fishing…man, it has grown!

PK:         What has been the greatest fishing memory you have?

TC:          Taking my father fishing on a charter when I visited California a few years back.  It was our only fishing trip together, and our last being that he passed away a couple years ago.

PK:         Outside of kayak fishing, what other hobbies do you have?

TC:          I play the piano and trombone, and love to plant things.

PK:         Any future goals for yourself (fish you want to catch, places you want to go, etc…)?

TC:          I’d like to get on some tuna here in Louisiana out of the kayak, also some huge grouper, sailfish, etc.  I’m ready to get some nice frames on the wall!

PK:         Ok, time for some quick answer questions.
                I am a rod guy, my whole trip revolves around what rods I am going to bring.  If you could choose one, what is your favorite Rod?

TC:          7’, medium action, with extra fast tip.

PK:         What is your favorite Lure?

TC:          Glow/chartreuse swimbait

PK:         Favorite fishing kayak?

TC:          JacksonCuda

PK:         Where is your favorite place to fish?

TC:          Calcasieu Lake

PK:         Who has been your favorite fishing partner?

TC:          John Williams

PK:         Who is the best angler you have ever had the chance to fish with?

TC:          Wayne Richardson

PK:         Yourself included, who is the best Louisiana angler you know?

TC:          Wayne Richardson

PK:         Who is one person you would love to take Kayak Fishing?

TC:          My buddy Rodney

PK:         Do you ever fly fish?

TC:          Soon, very soon!

PK:         If someone went to fish your area, where and what do they need to eat?

TC:          Not sure I try to eat at home as much as possible.

PK:         Thanks for your time Tray.  I appreciate the interview.
Other Interviews:
Other articles of interest:

No comments:

Post a Comment