Saturday, April 7, 2012

Jose Wejebe


I just learned this morning that Jose Wejebe passed away yesterday afternoon (04/06/2012) in a small plane crash in the Florida Everglades.

I remember watching “The Spanish Fly” every Saturday morning as a boy.  Even though I was not a Saltwater Angler, and at that point had not even picked up a fly rod, something about Jose’s show and especially his personality drew me in.  It quickly became one of my favorite fishing shows.  I would probably give Jose and his TV show most of the credit for my desire to fly fish.  He made it “cool” to me when I was younger.

According to his website, spanishflytv.com, Jose was born in Havana, Cuba, in 1958.  If you know much of anything about this time in Cuban history, you know that this was the time of the Cuban Revolution and Fidel Castro coming into power.  Jose’s father and uncle we imprisoned for speaking out against the Castro regime, but were released after the government seized their land and money.  Wejebe’s family then managed to flee to United States for asylum and start their lives over again with nothing.  

Again, according to the Spanish Fly website, Jose and nine other family members lived in a two bedroom house in Miami, Florida.  But, it was Miami where he began to fish.  He began to study the sport of fishing, including legends such as Stu Apt, Flip Pallot and Lefty Kreh.  He developed a relationship with them as a teenager by sending them letters often, and would even send them some of his hand tied flies.  Flip Pallot even ended up financing Jose’s first guide boat.

His fishing grew from there.  His first TV show aired on ESPN 2 in 1995, and was named after his boat, “The Spanish Fly.”  Known for the beautiful destinations and Jose’s soft spoken, yet cool in my eye, personality, the show quickly became the highest rated fishing show.

Jose’s passion for fishing really shined through his TV show, and I am sure if I had met him he would have been the same.  Fly anglers, saltwater fisherman, and the fishing industry as a whole, has lost a really great angler.


Other posts of interest:

No comments:

Post a Comment