Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Rod Selection - How to Choose a Spinnerbait Rod


As many of you know.  I am a custom fishing rod builder, and own a custom fishing company called P. H. Kellner – Quality Custom Fishing.  So, as you might imagine, the fishing rod is an important piece of the fishing puzzle to me. I have done more on-the-water research than you can even imagine, testing different fishing rods in different situations.  In this series of posts, I will describe how to choose the best rod for each specific fishing situation and presentation.  I will start by going through each lure category and situation and discuss the best choices for each scenario.  I will then help discuss how to choose how to whittle down your rod choices and decide what to take out on a kayak.

I know it is cliché, but the rod to an angler is like the brush to a painter.  It is a tool, maybe the most important and overlooked tool that the angler has to make decisions about.  The wrong rod can cost you fish!  And in a tournament situation, or anytime you’re out on the water, losing a fish can turn a good day bad, quickly.  Here is the how and why of choosing the correct fishing rod for you specific situation.


Spinnerbaits:

I know spinnerbaits may seem as though they are out of fashion but believe me, they still catch fish as productively as ever!  Dig one out of you box next time you head out and throw it for a while.  Just see what happens.  Spinnerbait fishing does require the correct tackle, and like every other lure your arsenal, they require the right rod.  The right spinnerbait rod can lead to more hook-ups and more landed fish.  Here is what I like in a spinnerbait rod:

Length: I prefer my spinnerbait rods shorter than the rest of my rods.  Typically 6’6” to 6’10”.  I will sometimes step down to a 6’ rod when I am in tight quarters on a river.  The reason I like a shorter rod (under7’) for spinnerbaits is because the shorter rod gives me more accuracy and maneuverability when I am casting into tight areas.  I use a spinnerbait most often in areas that have a lot of stumps and trees in the water, or has scattered reeds and grass.  Either way, these areas often have a lot of overhanging branches or reeds coming out of the water that I am casting around, under, behind, etc.  A shorter rod allows you to work through and around all “stuff” and lets you be accurate on your shorter “roll” type casts.

Action: Action is probably where you will get the most debate on a spinnerbait rod.  I prefer a Fast action rod for spinnerbait fishing, where some want a slower Moderate action rod.  This is more about preference and style of fishing than about any one specific correct choice.  Some anglers prefer a rod that has a slower action, like a crankbait rod, and some would rather have a faster action rod, like a worm rod.  I prefer a fast action rod when I am throwing a spinnerbait.  The reason is because I throw my spinnerbaits in areas with a lot of cover, and the sensitivity of a fast action rod helps me to feel what I am smashing my spinnerbait into.  I like to know when I am hitting a tree, a branch, some reeds, a rock, etc.  With a slower action rod, you do not have this same sensitivity; however some feel that when you are fishing a spinnerbait, like when you are fishing a crankbait, the line is tight during the retrieve and the slower action rod will not pull the spinnerbait out of the bass’ mouth.  I typically add a trailer hook to the back of my spinnerbait to help eliminate this issue so that I can use the more sensitive fast action rod.

Power: For most spinnerbait situations I want a Medium Heavy power rod.  A spinnerbait has a large hook that will take some power to pull through a fish’s lip, and the medium heavy rod will help with this.  You are also typically fishing a spinnerbait in areas with heavy cover, and again, the medium heavy rod will help you get the fish out of trouble and into your boat.  I do not go with a heavy power rod because you are repeatedly making casts all day long, and the heavier powered rod will weigh more and will fatigue your arms a little quicker.  If I am throwing a small spinnerbait or an inline spinner, I will step down to a medium power rod.

Guides: With a spinnerbait rod, I choose micro-guides.  I feel I have a little bit better accuracy with the micro-guides, and they are lighter.  Any weight you can take off will save your arms and allow you to cast that many more times.

Handle and Reel Seat: I am typically holding my spinnerbait rod in much the same way as a crankbait rod while I am fishing.  The tip of the rod is usually pointed sideways or down.  Because of this, balance in the rod is not as important as in a worm or jig type rod, so I want to reduce the weight as much as possible.  I use a Minima reel seat to reduce weight and increase sensitivity and comfort, and I use a split grip handle.  Again, like any other rod, EVA or cork is just a preference in feel.  Nothing feels as good as new cork to me, but with repeated use, especially in a kayak where it gets wet and dirty, the cork can dry out and harder fairly quickly.

Only choosing one rod for spinnerbaits is pretty easy.  I would choose a 6’6” Fast Action, Medium Heavy Power, P. H. Kellner – Quality Custom Fishing Rod, with micro guides, a Minima reel seat and a split grip handle.  Just like every other fishing situation, the right rod when spinnerbait fishing can make all the difference. 

How to choose a rod:

Other posts you might enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment