Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Fishing Line

Today's topic in Every Day In May is Line.  So, I am going to write about fishing line of coarse.  First, what I typically use and then get into a discussion about some new lines coming out.

When I am bass fishing, either tournaments or for fun, I am using 100% Fluorocarbon 95% of the time.  The near invisibility under the water is why.  I use it in both casting and spinning set ups.  I use it for soft plastics, jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, or just about anything you can think of.  The one exception is topwater poppers.  I use monofiliment for poppers.  The mono is better about not getting wrapped and tangled in the hooks of the topwater lures.  It also has a little more stretch than the Fluoro, giving that split second delay in the hook set that will lead to more hook-ups. 

I usually use Berkley 100% fluorocarbon.  It is relatively inexpensive when compared to other fluorocarbon lines (which can get expensive), but is still tough stuff.  It is fairly abrasion resistant, but I would suggest checking your line regularly when you are fishing in trees or rocks.  It is also pretty limp, making it easy to cast and reducing the memory of the line

When using monofiliment, I use Berkley Big Game.  It is the toughest stuff on the market.  I don't know if I have ever broken off on a fish while using Big Game.  It is also an inexpensive line, keeping the wife happy when I need to re-spool.

Are far as braided line goes...I don't like it at all.  I have used it in both spinning and baitcasting tackle, and I don't like it on either.  I know many anglers swear by it because of its almost no-strech and strength, but I don't like it.  To me, it does not cast as will in a baitcasting reel.  When I am using a spinning reel, it is because I want to go with finesse presentations.  Highly visible line just not fit into that.  I know you can add a leader to the line for this, but I want to reduce the number of knots I have on my line as much as possible.  When properly spooled, I have had more success with small diameter fluorocarbon for these finesse spinning presentations.

Now, there are new lines coming out on the market all the time, but they are usually either a combination of two of these three, or something similar.  I have never had much success with any of these, and stick with my 100% fluorocarbon.

There are some new lines coming out that do intrigue me however, but I have not had a chance to use them.  They are biodegradable fishing lines.  Eagle Claw has one called BioLine.  If you have read my blog for very long, you know that I am all about protecting the environment and especially the waters we fish.  BioLine is supposed to be 100% biodegradable, unlike traditional fluoros, monos, or braids.  Monofiliment line is supposed to last for about 600 years after you break off or re-spool.  Fluorocarbon lasts even longer than that!  But BioLine is supposed to completely break down and biodegrade in 5 years, leaving a much smaller impact on the water.  That sounds awesome.

I have not had the opportunity to fish with BioLine yet, and I don't know how it performs.  As soon as I get the opportunity I will get a spool and test it out.  It is supposed to be as abrasion resistant and have the knot strength of monofiliment while remaining nearly invisible and having the clarity of fluorocarbon.  I will let everyone know what happens, but this definitely sounds like a winner to me.

Has anyone had a chance to use BioLine yet?  How did it preform and what do you think of it?


2 comments:

  1. Nice post about line -- gotta be so careful with that crazy fluoro, don't you? Talk about a legacy. BioLine sounds great, if it works all right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Make me hope I can get my hands on some BioLine soon. I hate to think what I have been doing to the environment. I don't break off often, but if everyone who fishes does just a few times, think how much line must be in out waters.

      Delete