Monday, May 14, 2012

What Rods To Choose

Ok...I have been working on articles about how to choose a rod for specific fishing situations.  As I promised, I was eventually going to break it down even further and tell you what rods I choose most often when I head out for a Bass Fishing Kayak Tournament.  Since today's topic in Every Day In May is about a Rod, I figured today would be a good day to get that done.  Don't worry, I will keep writing about how to choose a rod for specific presentations.

For a tournament I will usually take 5 rods with me, but I sometimes take less.  Once in a blue moon I will take 6, but not that often.  Tournament fishing from a kayak is not like fishing from a power boat.  You don't have space to bring 10 or more rods with you.  Each rod needs to be able to fill a niche and also be versatile enough to be used in other situations.  This choices might change from location to location, but if I knew nothing about the body of water or the patterns I was fishing, these would be my selections.  So...here is what I would choose if I could only take 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, rods, and why:

First Rod - 7' Medium Heavy, Fast Action, Casting Rod
To me, this is the most versatile Rod you can have for bass fishing.  You can fish soft plastics and jigs very well, and can even use it for spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and topwater.  Even though it might not be the best choice for everything, just about anything can be fished effectively with this rod.

Second Rod - 7'6" Medium Heavy, Moderate Fast Action, Casting Rod
Crankbaits almost always catch fish, and of all the lures you can use in bass fishing, this is the one that is most difficult for my choice #1 to use.  In my opinion this is the most versatile rod you can use for crankbaits.  This rod would also be a decent choice for topwaters and some soft plastics.

Third Rod - 7' Medium, Fast Action, Spinning Rod
A medium power, fast action, spinning rod is a great rod to throw finesse baits on.  It is a good choice for drop-shots, weightless soft plastics, light jigs, in-line spinners, shaky heads, or basically anything light weight that you are throwing on light line.  This is always a good idea to have with you for those tough to get a bite days.

Fourth Rod - 6'6" Medium Heavy, Fast Action, Casting Rod
In this rod selection list, this would be my spinnerbait rod.  This would also be a good choice as a back-up soft plastics or jig rod.  If the crankbait bite was really hot, this could also serve as your third option (out of the first 4) for a crankbait rod.

Fifth Rod - 7' Heavy, Moderate Fast Action, Casting Rod
A little bit heavier and with a little slower action than my first choice, this rod serves as a good deep-cranking option, and can also be used for fishing jigs, spinnerbaits, and some soft plastics.

Remember, when you have limited space and limited rod choices, you need multipurpose rods in order to cover most (if not all) of you presentation choices.  All the rods I use are P. H. Kellner - Quality Custom Fishing Rods.  I hope this helps you make the best choices when heading out to your kayak tournaments. 









Other related articles:
Case for a Big Time Kayak Fishing Tournament Trail
How to Choose a Crankbait Rod
How to Choose a Rod For Texas Rigged Soft Plastics
How to Choose a Spinnerbait Rod
How to Choose a Jig Rod
How to Choose a Topwater Rod 

No comments:

Post a Comment